Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:24:51 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 9.0 release and dmesg

On 06/02/2012 18:24, JD wrote:
> dmesg no longer outputs the kernel messages.
>
> $ dmesg
> $
> $ which dmesg
> /sbin/dmesg
> $what /sbin/dmesg
> /sbin/dmesg:
>
> So, I have no idea what version of dmesg got installed.
>
> Anyone on 9.0 Release have this problem? How to fix it?

I thought this was by design, I've noticed it very early (7.x, probably
earlier) and just thought that when lot of data is written to the
console, the actual kernel message buffer gets invalidated or freed.
This made me stop using dmesg altogether and just look at either
/var/run/dmesg.boot for the boot messages or /var/log/messages.