Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:26:11 +0100
From:      "Erik Mattsson" <erik.mattsson@imbridge.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Freebsd, Apache and .htacess files

Hi

Ive installed the apache-1.3.26_3 port and trying to get it to work with TWiki
(an intranet discussion/note board). But I cant limit the access of the sites.

Ive made the following test:
created a "test" dir in the DocumentRoot directory.
In this directory Ive created a "index.html" file that the browser can acess.

But now I want to limit the access to the test directory by adding a .htaccess
file in the dir. The .htaccess file looks like this:
"AuthName "restricted stuff"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/twiki/data/.htpasswd
require valid-user"

And the AutgUserFile look like this:
"TWikiGuest:zK.G.uuPi39Qg"

But I can reach the /test/ directory anyways even though it should be restricted. I dont
even get a Dialog wanting user/password details.

What is wrong, the strange thing is that Ive used the same .htaccess and .htpasswd files on a
netbsd and got it to work. But now I cant get it to work on my freebsd box.

Can anyone help me ?

//erik