Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2024 13:12:39 +0900
From:      "lain." <lain@fair.moe>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: The Case for Rust (in the base system)

--vjx4matrqenxz4bv

On 2024=E5=B9=B401=E6=9C=8831=E6=97=A5 11:17, the silly Wojciech Puchar cla=
imed to have said:
> It's just another hype trying to solve problem of bad programmers. Proper
> programmer with proper use of brain cannot be replaced by machine.

And the irony is, it "solves" problems of bad programmers by enforcing
bad programmer behavior, while only preventing mistakes in areas they
previously didn't care about.

It's clear to me that most of the Rust developers at one point were
Javascript developers, because while they went from extremely high end
with no mercy to somebody else's hardware at all to near low end where
the compiler forces them to treat hardware with at least some respect,
they still tend to pull 3rd party packages for every little thing they
want to implement, making Cargo no different from NPM.

One would argue that "you can't accomplish everything with the standard
libraries alone", yet Go doesn't have this problem, and all it did was
provide a complete standard library.
On the other hand, PHP's standard library (if you can call it like that)
is even more complete, but most people there import Composer packages
for almost everything as well.
So I don't think that putting the blame on standard libraries is really
valid, but rather on both skill issues and lack of productivity.

Like Jonathan Blow said, "it's not like why not caring about
performance, they've become more productive in other dimensions, no,
they just have bad performance, and they still can't get anything done".

--=20
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and i=
t's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable in=
formation without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encr=
ypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client=
, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html

--vjx4matrqenxz4bv

--vjx4matrqenxz4bv--