Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:04:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        David Smithson <david@customfilmeffects.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I repeat a command N times?

In the last episode (Jul 09), David Smithson said:
> Hello friends.  I want to repeat a command 607 times and stop.  How do I
> accomplish this besides writing a script that's 607 lines long?

Lots of ways.

  for i in `jot 607` ; do
    mycommand
  done

This gets unwieldy if you want to loop, say a million times, since the
jot command creates a string made up of all the numbers separated by
spaces.  A bit more complicated, but scales better:

  i=1
  while [ $i -le 607 ] ; do
    mycommand
  done

If you're using zsh, you can use

  repeat 607 ; do
    mycommand
  done

, but it's not portable to all shells like the while loop.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com