Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:10:55 +0100
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        drew@penguin.ipunet.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

In lists.freebsd.questions you write:

>Thus spake Greg Lehey (grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com):

[...]

>I've found out that overall, my productivity has gone up with
>emacs, though there are special circumstances where I say to
>myself 'grrr, I wish I were using vi'.  I have yet to figure
>out how to repeat my last command in emacs, a la '.' in vi,
>for instance.

Then try what I'm doing for almost 10 years now: Use emacs in vi-mode

Just type ALT-X viper in xemacs, e.g. I don't know if fsf emacs
automatically has hooks for viper, you might have to "load-library viper"

>I still use vi for quickie jobs like editing config files, as
>I find it's more convenient to just type vi in the xterm I'm
>already in, as opposed to switching desktops to the copy of
>emacs I keep running at all times.

You can easily use gnuclient for that. I've set my EDITOR to gnuclient
and at least xemacs gives me a new window there and then on the screen
e.g. my mutt is running. You simply hit CTRL-X # to get rid of the window
and return to the program that called gnuclient.

Michael
--
\|/
-O- Michael Elbel, ConSol* GmbH, - me@consol.de - 089 / 45841-256