Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:38:58 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        kkonaka@mac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ie(4) - EtherExpress16

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 07:52:26PM -0500, kkonaka@mac.com wrote:

> how do I install 4.4-RELEASE into a PC with only
> etherexpress16 - ie(4) network interface?

From what media? From a CDROM, your NIC doesn't really come into
play.

> I did install 4.4-RELEASE on another PC with 3c590, (over
> both ftp&nfs install) but it looks like installer for
> 4.4-RELEASE doesn't have immediate support for ie(4).

Hmmm... Nope. Looks like it is not in the install kernel, but I still
see ie(4) listed in the GENERIC kernel.

> I've casually tried 4.2-RELEASE installer which appears
> to have ie(4) support, but somehow this seems to have
> failed probing the hardware (?)

The ie(4) is a jumpered ISA card, IIRC. The settings on the card have
to match up with the kernel's idea of where to find the card.

> now I'm thinking about two choises:
>
> - 0) first, swap the disk beween two machines once, then
> - a) install 4.4-RELEASE, then somehow reconfigure the
>      kernel to have ie(4) support.

Once you install, ie(4) support will be in the GENERIC kernel.