Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:07:07 -0600
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        John McClure <chromodromic@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple Versions of Same Port

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:29:53 -0800 (PST)
John McClure <chromodromic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to FreeBSD.
>
> I want to maintain multiple copies of the apache
> server, one running PHP, another running mod_perl,
> perhaps another configured differently ...
>
> If I use the ports system, how do I go about this? I
> can use a different PREFIX for each different
> installation, but will the ports system overwrite the
> information each time under /var/db/pkg? If so, I'm
> thinking this would break the pkg_delete functionality
> at least.
>
> I thought I might just cp the apache13 port, call if
> something different, say apache13-2, and then do a
> "make PREFIX=/usr/local/apache_whatever install". But
> should I use the ports system for this? Under linux
> I'd just do different compiles, which I could do here,
> but I like the ease-of-upgrading provided by ports so
> I'd like to use that if I could, as well as just gain
> the general insight.

John,

Going at this from a different angle, if Apache was the one
port you wanted to do this with, you could possibly accomplish
this by having different httpd.conf files for your different
Apache setups. Then by hacking the apachectl/httpd -f argument
you could specify which configuration you wanted to start up.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com