Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 21:11:19 +0100
From:      Henrik Johansson <f94jnh@student.udd.htu.se>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Only one DOS partition allowed?

Hi

I tried installing FreeBSD 2.2.2 the other day. I previously had 4 DOS
partitions on my computer,
whereof one was a primary partition and the other logical units in an
extended  partition.
In FreeBSDīs fdisk menu the logical partitions in the extended partition
apparently are not recognised,
so FreeBSD sees the extended partition "as a whole". Therefore I tried
recreating the lost partitions
by assigning the number 6 for DOS-file format to the newly created
partitions. several "X":s turn up
on screen to mark these DOS-partition, and the installation later fails
with thee message
"Max one DOS partition as child of whole".

I tried to escape this problem by assigning these partitions as FreeBSD and
Linux instead, go on with
the installation, and then via OS/2īs fdisk change these FreeBSD and Linux
partitions back to DOS
format. OS/2īs fdisk was not allowed to modify these partitions! It could
not delete them!

I would like to have several DOS partitions on my computer, so is there a
workaround for this problem?