Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:15:20 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP Omnibook 800, 'calcru negative offset'

Hi All,

I've just recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-Release onto my HP Omnibook 800
laptop... I've looked at the PAO package, but at this time it just locks the
machine (reading the FAQ's etc. shows they don't yet properly support the
PCMCIA chipset in the 800 :-( So I'm running plain 2.2.5-Release...

My problem is that during the Kernel boot the system reckons the CPU is
running at 50 MHz (when it's a P100) - this means I get loads of kernel
messages like:-

/kernel: calcru negative offset -231ms

appearing all the time... I've tried fiddling with the kernel config (the
various calibration systems etc. for the CPU / 8254 clocks) - but all to no
avail...

The laptop is running with no power saving, and I've also tried enabling APM
support in the kernel - but no luck yet...

Anyone got any hints on how to get rid of this annoying message? - perhaps a
way of forcibly telling the kernel the CPU clock is 100 MHz?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz
(mailto:kpielorz@tdx.co.uk)