Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:01:55 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing from 3.4rc2 ISO

Dear Geoff,

> I was unable to do a network install with RC2 as I only had
> an fxp card
> and a DE 201 lying around. The fxp seem to have a slight
> variation of...

> which I assume is fixed in CURRENT.

You have to set the variables explicitly during the installation. Boot from
the floppy, interrupt at the point where the loader threatens to boot the
kernel in 9..8..7.. and type something like: set fxp_iomap=1 (forgot the
exact syntax, and the box is off at the moment). After the install you can
set this in loader.rc.

The problem is that this issue is limited to lower end Alpha boxes and the
option limits the performance of the fxp card. That's why it's not enabled
by default.

If course, someone could code it to retry the probe if a bogus MAC address
turns up, but the symptoms (MAC ff:ff:...) cannot be relied upon to be
identical from box to box, so a reprobe would be yucky by design. Effort is
best focused elsewhere.

In short: set the flag and you can do a network install.

    Kees Jan