Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:40:19 GMT
From:      Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/98269: Fresh 6.1 installation fails to boot

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/98269; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
To: James Tanis <jtanis@pycoder.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:37:28 +0300 (EEST)

 On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, James Tanis wrote:

 > Assuming a Blade 100 operates near to the same as most previous
 > Sparcs/UltraSparcs, the system defaults to booting off of the device
 > last booted off of. Try hitting stop-a and doing a "boot disk," or
 > whatever your version of PROM requires to boot off the first disk.

 Good tip, this indeed was the problem. After "boot disk" the system boots
 fine. Thank you very much. Any chance of this bit of valuable information
 making its way to
 http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/installation-sparc64.html so that I'd
 be the last to submit a PR about such a silly thing? ;)

 In any case at least after this google will probably come up with more
 that 3 hits for "File /boot/loader not found".

 > This looks to me to have absolutely nothing to do with freebsd, its
 > not even loading the freebsd bootloader from what I've seen. If
 > installation was successful most likely you are attempting to boot off
 > the wrong device (or at least, not the device the bootloader was
 > installed on). Also, if its really typing x's for your ethernet
 > address, you may need to get a new nvram as it's battery may be dead
 > -- I'm not sure whether the Blade 100 uses NVRAM or if its one of the
 > newer systems with an SEEPROM and therefore doesn't need a battery. Is
 > there a keyboard connected? If there is, I think freebsd may be the
 > least of your problems.

 I changed that stuff by hand, no worries.

 Thanks,

  	-jake