Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:20:42 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sergio Carlavilla <carlavilla@freebsd.org>, doceng@freebsd.org, ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To be deprecated [.filename]## tag in the document?

> On 31 Jan 2023, at 08:02, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 12:43:27PM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote=
:
>>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 12:31, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>=20
>>> This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
>>> semantically,
>>=20
>> Yes, but this is in Docbook, not in AsciiDoc.
>>=20
>> For AsciiDoc the syntax [.whatever]## is to declare a class for the CSS p=
arser.
>> The result in the HTML, PDF and EPUB will be the same.
>> Using [.whatever]## or ``.
>>=20
>> But of course, this is my personal opinion, if you think is better to
>> use the old syntax, please send an email to doceng@
>> Of course, this kind of changes must be decided by the entire Doceng@
>> not only a member of them.
>=20
> This is exactly my point, if you write `foo`, you cannot affect the
> rendering so that variable `foo` is different than filename `foo` or
> code block `foo`, which is why we should keep [.filename]#foo#, and if
> it was ever a thing, [.variable]#foo#, so that rendering can be made
> different, and people reading the documentation have a better
> experience, like, if something is in fixed width font, and in green,
> (which was the color when we used docbook, I think,) then I know it's a
> filename, I don't have to figure it out by using context.

I agree that the semantics are useful and, arguably, should not have been dr=
opped without discussion with doceng@ (or in earlier times, doc@) in the fir=
st place.  I=E2=80=99d hope that discussion could cover whether it is more i=
mportant that people can contribute =E2=80=9Ceasily=E2=80=9D (and how one wo=
uld measure if that is working) or a richer documentation set that can easil=
y provide contextual output in various formats (and which ones are actually g=
etting asked for or used).

However, that all leads me back to my usual moan about engineering goals and=
 I wasn=E2=80=99t here and I haven=E2=80=99t succeeded in getting this acros=
s before, so I=E2=80=99ll leave my opinion there.

Ceri