Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:13:10 +0000
From:      Greg Eden <greg@wholemeal.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Henrik_Lidstr=F6m?= <freebsd@henriklidstrom.se>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hpasmcli locks up a DL380G3

On 6 Feb 2006, at 23:57, Henrik Lidstr=F6m wrote:

>> Hello
>>
>> First of all many thanks for the port of these tools to FreeBSD,  =20
>> something I'd dreamt about for a long time. The lack of RAID  =20
>> management tools for FreeBSD on DLxxx hardware was quite =20
>> crippling.  OK, they have been removed but at least I know they =20
>> are actively  being worked on.
>>
>> Sadly though I've been experiencing problems with the hpasmcli  =20
>> utility on a number of machines, which today culminated in the  =20
>> locking up of a production webserver. I was taking what seem to be =20=

>> a  small risk running it in that environment but initial tests had =20=

>> shown  it to be quite stable.
>>
>> The box that locked up was a DL380G3 which reports as below, =20
>> running  FreebSD 5.3R-p5
>>
>> System        : ProLiant DL380 G3
>> Serial No.    : xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> ROM version   : P29 05/01/2004
>> iLo present   : Yes
>> Embedded NICs : 2
>>          NIC1 MAC: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>          NIC2 MAC: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Processor: 0
>>          Name         : Intel Xeon
>>          Stepping     : 9
>>          Speed        : 2800 MHz
>>          Bus          : 400 MHz
>>          Socket       : 1
>>          Level2 Cache : 512 KBytes
>>          Status       : Ok
>>
>> Processor total  : 1
>>
>> Memory installed : 1024 MBytes
>> ECC supported    : Yes
>>
>> What appears to happen is thus:
>>
>> 1. For a period of days or weeks the hpasmcli and hpasmd work just =20=

>> fine.
>> 2. After some period of time, in the order of weeks, when hpasmcli =20=

>> is  run it will just print:
>>
>> HP management CLI for FreeBSD (v7.22)
>> Copyright 2003,2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Group, L.P.
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

>> --- --
>> NOTE: Some hpasmcli commands may not be supported on all Proliant  =20=

>> servers.
>>        Type 'help' to get a list of all top level commands.
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

>> --- --
>>
>> and then hang, without showing the hpasmcli> prompt for input. In =20
>> the  past it's been possible to Ctrl-C break out. Restarting the =20
>> hpasmd  daemon will see hpasmcli working fine again. Given the =20
>> usefulness of  the utility I've been willing to live with that. =20
>> However today  running hpasmcli seems to have instantly locked the =20=

>> box, both at the  console and via ssh. I've been using hpasmcli =20
>> since it's public release.
>>
>> The other HP boxes I have include two DL360G4s with FreeBSD 5.4-=20
>> p1  and a DL360G3 with FreeBSD 5.3-p4 . They have shown the =20
>> hpasmcli  hanging behaviour, but never locked up hard.
>>
>> Unfortunately all the HP boxes I have are currently in production =20
>> and  I can't run any  further diagnostics, traces etc.

> [...]

I haven't tempted fate that way yet. I always restart the hpasmd =20
before using the client on a machine. This seems to avoid the problem.

Thanks for responding to my mail, you're the third person to confirm =20
the problem, which given that it locks the machine up hard, is a very =20=

serious one.

best.
greg.=