Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2004 00:41:34 -0400
From:      andy@lewman.com
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

In my completely unscientific tests just now before heading off to bed,
The 4.9 kernel without hifn in it, apache-ssl is clearly using main cpu
under artificial heavy load.

Put back in hifn, same test, cpu is hovering at 90% idle, and apache-ssl
is cranking away.

This is with the Soekris 14xx card, reported as:
hifn0: Hifn 7955, rev 0, 32KB dram, 64 sessions

I know the 7955 is the latest chipset and supports more than the older
7951 cards.

:
: I can second/confirm Mike's observations here.
:
: I've got a pair of HI/FN 7951 cards which gets used by SSH if I select
: 3DES, but there is no sign that Apache attempts to use it for either
: the public-key RSA/DSA crypto during HTTPS session startup, nor later
: for the symmetric crypto.
:
: --
: -Chuck