Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:17:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

> Unfortunately, every time we've also looked around for someone who'd
> be really interested in the idea of championing config, the room has
> quickly emptied. :-)

This is probably because everyone knows having to configure devices
at all is an evil perpetuated by people not writing perfect probe
code.

Lack of perfect probe code is an evil perpetuated by ISA.

ISA is an evil no one claims credit for, but which many argue
in favor of every time I suggest we put it to the torch.  One
of the complainers is responsible, and I will find them out
eventually.  ;-).

Meanwhile, it's possible to write "near-perfect" probe code, if you
are willing to either say at the gross level "yes, I have this card"
or are willing to live with "press reset if this takes 'too long'".

Otherwise, people should strive for configless devices where possible;
having a crufty "non-90's" config happens to encorage this, so it's
a good thing.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---