Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:02:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install

On Sat, Sep 20, 1997 at 04:24:23AM -0400, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

>>> I have a Compaq Presario, originally a Pentium 120, now a Cyrix 6x86 166.
>>> I have 24 megs of RAM installed, put there's a aparently a hangup in the
>>> Compaq architecture, or the FreeBSD interface to it, which means that only
>>> 16 megs is detected with the GENERIC kernel; this was true in 2.1.6, and
>>> in 2.2.1; I always have to compile a custom kernel to use more than 16.
>>> It panics right after I quit the kernel config and save; I don't get any
>>> messages about probes after that; it clears the screen and goes right to
>>> the panic.  I could see if I can get a screen shot of it; I stil have the
>>> SNAP boot.flp here somewhere...
>>
>> Hmmm.   What happens if you don't go into the kernel config?
> Just tried it again; didn't go into config.  As near as I can tell, it's
> the same error.  Here's an approximate screen shot; the info's right,
> spacing may be off; pen and paper  necessary when print screen doesn't
> work:
> (clear screen)
> avail memory = 12886016 (12584k bytes)

That's interesting.

> fault virtual address = 0xeffe0000
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> (I imagine that's the important part for now, but here's the rest)

No, the rest is important too.

> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xeffe0000
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xf03ddf44
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xf03ddf74
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>              = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = resume IOPL = 0
> current process = 0 ()
> interrupt mask = net tty bio
> trap number = 12
>
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds, blah blah blah...
>
> Gee, I love this; this is just like copying down traps under OS/2...

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble.  I'd hazard a guess that
it's a Compaq incompatibility, but I don't have time to follow up on
it.  In an earlier message, you told me which version of FreeBSD
you're running.  If it's -current, you should inform the -current
people (FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org); otherwise you could try the
-hackers (FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org).

Greg