Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:38:53 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Subject:   [OT] Re: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze

7/30/2002 4:59:24 PM, Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:

>JM> Apple has run a great series of ads in e-Week, showing that
[definitely]
>JM> pretty desktop and suggesting their combination of iBook and
Mac OS X is
>JM> the answer to a SysAdmin's prayer: sexy _and_ cute.
>
>Last week at O'Reilly's Open Source conference, about a billion people
>were sporting shiny new PowerBooks and iBooks.  Two of us had
those
>creaky old iBooks, too.
>
>The next time I need to update my desktop at work, it will be running
>MacOS X.  The servers will still run FreeBSD, though...

I poked around on some Macs in a local CompUSA, having become
curious about OS X and the new iMac.  OS X was slower than I
expected (not smooth on stuff like dragging windows) on the new iMacs
and eMacs, and the 15" flat-panel display on the iMac still seems a bit
small.  But on the 2-processor G4, hooked up to a 22" flat screen Apple
Cinema Display, running a number of apps including an animated
mathematical simulation, OS X ran fast and looked by-God impressive.
(If the folks at CompUSA had some sense, that would have been sitting
in front of the entrance rather than at the back of the store.)

Jud