Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:27:08 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM_MBR breaks my kernel

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <3E71E323.5010808@myrealbox.com>, walt writes:
>
>>I've been unable to boot any kernel I've built since about March 11
>>and I've narrowed it down to the GEOM_MBR option.
>>
>>With GEOM_MBR I get a kernel page fault error when trying to
>>mount the root filesystem at boot time.

> Can you get us the messages and a traceback ?

Well, no.  I've been trying to find a kernel configuration that
will allow me to reproduce the bug AND generate a traceback, but
so far I can't find one.

The problem is that just adding GEOM_MBR to a GENERIC kernel
doesn't produce the bug.  My normal custom kernel doesn't contain
the debugging stuff, and if I start changing things the bug
doesn't show.

The only semi-interesting result I've come up with is this:

I normally use only the 'cpu I686_CPU' flag because I have an
Athlon cpu.  But if I also include the 'cpu I586_CPU' flag the
bug completely changes:  the machine boots and the filesystems
mount just fine but about ten seconds after I start X running
the machine panics and reboots shortly thereafter.  The panic
message doesn't appear on the screen because the console is  not
visible at that point.

Does this suggest a gcc problem?  I've never really understood
how more than one 'cpu' flag can be included in the kernel config
file, so I'm not sure what actually changes when I do that.