Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:38:28 +0100
From:      Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 locore.s swtch.s sys/i386/include pmap.h

>the program 'mptable' (on the SMP web page) will analyze your
>board and create a definitive "options" list for your config file.  The
>defaults are set to the minimums to avoid kernel bloat.  I want to keep
>extended examination of the MP table out of the kernel, again to avoid
>bloat, hence the mptable tool.  Maybe I should make the message suggest
>mptable?

Yes, I know of mptable, used it to find the right number.
But don't you already examine the table when you discover that NBUS is
to low?

>---
>> However then came:
>> BIOS basemem (633K) != RTC basemem (640K), setting to BIOS value
>> unknown bus type: 'XPRESS'
>>
>> Followed by panic...
>> Argh, haven't had time to study what it would like to know about the bus.
>> If it is something special, anyone that has enough information to do
>> something about it?
>> Well, it worked in earlier releases, so I quickly commented out the panic()
>> and continued. Just didn't have the patience :)
>
>if you don't need to use anything on the XPRESS bus it should be simple,
>I'll look at it later today...

Well, I'm not really sure what the XPRESS bus is. I'm a bit new to these
machines. I would suspect it to be the system bus?

If so, I would suspect that the PCI busses and CPU cards are already on it?
The only slots in it that is non pci/eisa are those that the CPU
and memory cards are plugged into.

Shall see if I can find something (there isn't much documentation on these
boxes here) later. Have to do some other work now.

Terje Marthinussen
terjem@cc.uit.no