Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:01:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Shreela <shreela@dcnet2000.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Win on master/BSD on slave?

Shreela writes:
 > If I set up win95 on my master HD 8.4G and my BSD on slave HD
 > 3.2....will I have to do any partitioning of any kind?  And would I need
 > to bring up BSD from MS DOS7 (on master)?

There is no problem installing in such a configuration.  FreeBSD
handles dual boot systems quite well.  And partitioning will be
done as part of the FBSD install program.

Your two disks can be easily handled by the FBSD boot manager.
But if you ever reinstall Windows, it will mess things up.  (Bill
Gates does not think that anyone in the world uses anything but
Windows.)  If you must reinstall Windows, you will have to set up
the FBSD boot manager again after the Win reinstallation is
finished.

Please thoroughly browse the web site: www.freebsd.org

Basically, if you have a highspeed internet connection, you
should download the two installation floppies (boot.flp and
root.flp), and a DOS/Windows program which will put them on the
floppy media for you.  These are not DOS or Windows files; they
must not just be copied over to the floppies using the DOS copy
command or Windows "drag and drop".  If you try that you will get
an error message.  Be sure that you follow the instructions
carefully to do this and to accomplish the installation after you
have the installation floppies.  If you do not have high speed
net access, I recommend buying the CD-ROMs.

 > Do you plan on making any tutorials for this kind of set up if it turns
 > out to be complicated?  I am doing this for the first time.  I have 32Mb
 > RAM.

There are no "tutorials", but there are quite good instructions.
You will, however, have to read them, and the more carefully you
read them, the easier the install will be.  Hundreds of
thousands, if not millions, of FBSD users have done this before
you, so take heart.  Try to find someone with FBSD or Linux
experience to "look over your shoulder".

32MB of ram is enough, but things will go better (both in FBSD
and Windows) if you buy more.  64MB is the minimal amount I
recommend to people these days.  FBSD will work better in low
memory situations than Windows.  It is designed to be more
efficient.

 > Thanks if you can help,
 > Sherri
 > ps...my college gives out notes on windows floppies.....will I be able
 > to bring them up in unix?

Depends on the format of the notes.  You can certainly read the
floppies under FreeBSD.  There are a couple of ways to do that.
If they are, for example, Microsoft Word files, the answer is
"not without a lot of configuration of your FreeBSD system
first".  In this case, set up FreeBSD, then post back here when
you have a working system.  If you set up a dual boot system
(alluded to above; the procedure is outlined in the Handbook; see
the web site), you will be able to read them under Windows.

And you should lobby your college faculty to distribute notes in
an architecture-neutral format such as PDF or HTML, not in some
proprietary Microsoft format.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790