Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:06:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>
To:        epilogue@allstream.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox will not start after javaplugin install failed.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 epilogue@allstream.net wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:44:28 +0200 (CEST)
> Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE> wrote:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > I stumbled upon a page that complained that I had to install a java
> > plugin to view the page. I do have a java jvm installed but din't think
> > and clicked the webpage and told it to install that Linux plugin, since
> > it would probably work better than the Windows one anyway.
> >
> > Now, afterwards Firefox just wont start!
> >
> > It says:
> > bash-2.05b$ firefox
> > firefox-bin: Fatal IO error 78 (Function not implemented) on X server
> > :0.0.
> > bash-2.05b$
> >
> > Anyone know what that means? Is there one smart way I can fix what the
> > install have destroyed? I did a 'make deinstall; make reinstall' but it
> > didn't help.
>
> heya andreas,
>
> my guess would be that your java install added a few files that are not
> recognized by the port 'deinstall' mechanism (because they're not listed in
> the firefox port), so it leaves them and the directories intact.  so, when
> you reinstall, these files are still kicking around.
>
> you're probably going to want to deinstall firefox and watch for messages
> which complain about not being able to remove directories.  look for these
> and any other firefox folders which still have content, then manually
> delete them.   (probably somewhere under/usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/...)

I probably had a brainmelt earlier tonight. That was sound advice, and
would probably have worked fine. But I happened to press 'rm -fr
/usr/X11R6/lib' instead...

Now I have been working awhile to get that back, and have no idea what
might be missing more. At least Firefox is working again, but now I broke
KDE!

*sigh*

I think I'll need to sleep on this.

Thanks anyway, I should have done as you suggested, after sleeping.

/andreas