Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:38:06 -0400
From:      Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl question...

 I am thinking here on a small perl problem and i can't find any better forum then
this one. PerlMongers don't count since they don't discuss anything but their
social lives or lack thereof.
 Anyway, how do i cleanly implement simultaneous input from number of files
using select (or anything else) and yet not using sysopen? I have to use regular open
since those files are all (or part) other processes outputs | to perl script.
 Now, i guess if i just open it and use select - it will indicate when data available,
so i will read one line? But this is buffered input so more data can be read, so much
in fact that nothing will be left in the actual file descriptor. Next select will block
and then show no data available. On the other hand i can't continue reading lines
since i might block on that?
Looks like catch 22 to me...
And yes, i know it's a wrong forum..
--Ugen