Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 10:09:33 +0200
From:      Marko Lerota <marko.lerota@optima-telekom.hr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd and CPU/performance problem

Marko Lerota <marko.lerota@zg.t-com.hr> writes:

>   PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>   429 root         1   4    0  1204K   820K -      0 581:42 13.48% nfsd
>   430 root         1   4    0  1204K   820K -      0  10:37  0.00% nfsd
>
> Here is the config
> rc.conf
> #######################
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> portmap_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4 -h 10.3.11.43"
> mountd_flags="-r"
> nfs_client_enable="YES"
> #######################

My friend found the 'problem' but I'm not shure who's problem it is.
The clients or the nfs servers. In the handbook section about NFS there
is nothing about this.

These options are added in rc.conf and server now works correctly.

rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

But later in the handbook section:

Figure 2-54. Network Configuration Lower-level

The rpcbind(8), rpc.statd(8), and rpc.lockd(8) utilities are all used for
Remote Procedure Calls (RPC). The rpcbind utility manages communication
between NFS servers and clients, and is *required* for NFS servers to operate
correctly.

So I think this should be in the NFS section. Anyone?

The clients are RedHatES4 and servers are FreeBSD 6.1

--
One cannot sell the earth upon which the people walk
                                                Tacunka Witco