Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:12:40 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdump stuck in sbwait state (RELENG_7)

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

On 2008-Dec-30 05:48:26 -0500, Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, you need the last packets that were exchanged in order
>> to identify which end has the problem (and hopefully provide some
>> pointers as to why).  If possible, can you repeat the dump whilst you
>> run a tcpdump on the rdump flow and then post the last dozen or so
>> packets in each direction.
>
>  That could be pretty unpleasant - this happens at a random point while
>dumping 4GB or so. If I have to, I'll do it but I was hoping there was
>a better way.

Sorry, I can't think of any - by the time you see it hung, whatever
went wrong has already happened.  You might glean some insight from
the TCP socket state (on the FreeBSD side, use 'netstat -A' to print
the PCB address and gdb to dump the contents but I'm not sure how to
get this data out of OpenVMS).  The '-C' and '-W' options to tcpdump
will help.

>  Shouldn't this get torn down by a keepalive at some point? It has been
>sitting for 9 hours or so at this point...

On FreeBSD, keepalives are off by default.  You change change the
default with sysctl net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive but I think that
only affects new connections.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq