Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 04:52:13 +0159 (MET DST)
From:      Gerd Truschinski <gt@freebsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   A new utility

Hi there,

what about a new utility: the 'guru' ?

A collections of 'fortunes' designed for the FreeBSD environment.

BACKGROUND:

About two month ago I saw that ATS (one of the core team) used
the command 'script'. That was the thing I am missing the last
eleven years. But I didn't see an advertisement anywhere. And
from the man page I saw that ' The script command appeared in 3.0BSD'.
There was the solution, but I didn't recognice it.

The other example is the command 'ls -lrt' to see files and their
age. I.e do YOU use the 'rt'-flag often?

If you know this examples, you use them. But there is more in FreeBSD
that most people didn't recognice.

SOLUTION:

A 'fortune'-like database with little hints from people who had
just discovered a new feature of FreeBSD. Or even know about
it several years.

That means: Nothing you invoke in your .logout, like 'fortune'!r
Something you invoke in you .login. Then you could play a little
bit with this feature.

OTHER HINTS:

In FreeBSD there is a base set of commands and there are the packages.
The problem is: DID YOU NEED THEM? And WHY??

Normaly there are small hints in the 'xxx/pkg/DESCR'-file.
But noone tell you why you need i.e. 'gmake'. We have 'make'. What make
'gmake' superior to 'make'. Only a small hint will suffice. So, all of
this packages need a better description. One, which shows you the
advantages of this tools. And may it be only one samm point they
get. Tell the other people where to get this point!!!

THE GERMAN WAY:

we nedd a maintainer of all the stuff....

Ok, I collect all things that people send me with the 'Subject:guru'.

If it will be to much: I cry as loud as I can! So; start sending
your samll hints.

/gT/, also maintainer of the crossgcc mailing list

--
Gerd Truschinski         | Yes, this is the sort of scenario I
gt@freebsd.first.gmd.de  | think up to amuse myself in the evenings.