Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:09:56 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using Ant (continued)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 03:54pm, Dave Glowacki wrote:
> About the only sharable code in the old days was in the form of
> shell scripts and troff or make macros; not surprisingly, the
> "libraries" for the latter two can be found in /usr/share/tmac/
> and /usr/share/mk/
> As another counterexample, bison and the GNU auto* tools
> (libtool, automake, autoconf, etc) install their libraries
> under ${PREFIX}/share.

... those are macros, not binaries, not libraries.  There's a difference.
Those are plaintext files describing how bison, automake, autoconf, (et al.)
should run after they've been executed, they are not runtimes written in the
application binary's native language.

Would you call your Makefile a library?  No, that's because it's not a
library.  m4 files are not libraries.  They are basically lists.   Though in
some cases they may be required to make the application run.

That's a perfect case use of "share".   Java classes are not, IMO.

> Most of the current Java ports install their jar files in
> ${PREFIX}/share/java/classes, so keeping them there isn't
> a change ... moving them elsewhere would be.

True; that does not however mean that it should be this way.

Classfiles and JARs are Java's equivalents of libraries; it's
counter-intuitive to go looking for them in /share, when the rest of the
world- that is, the world's significant languages put their libraries in
/lib.

Python, Ruby, Tcl, Tk, PHP, and Perl ... they all use /lib regardless of the
multiplatform nature of their code.  It's where people go looking for
libraries.  lib=libraries.  Using /lib/lang is the generally accepted
practice for any language.

Consistency with the heirarchy, as it is used elsewhere, is more important
than arguing over semantics of "share", in my opinion.   Or, for that matter,
protecting the location where some ports are currently installed.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]