Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:55:09 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

In message
<Pine.BSF.4.10.9907112242280.34006-100000@janus.syracuse.net> "Brian
F. Feldman" writes:
: Ahh, I misunderstood you. In _this_ case you just proposed, the stat is
: really pointless. What good would it do?

It would let you know if you should even try to open the file...  But
that doesn't solve the race.  The fstat tells you if what you opened
was what you thought you were opening...  However, for this, the
original stat might not be completely necessary unless you were trying
to specifically detect someone trying to race you.  You are right that
it won't buy you anything.

I was confusing this with the tree walking case.  The stat + fstat
check there was needed...

Warner