Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 21:31:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Michael Hendrick <mlh@poe.b2.org>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, current@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Michael Hendrick wrote:

> > On my system at home (486DX4/100, 850MB Western Digital IDE, VLB IDE
> > controller, 24MB RAM) the system does seem to freeze up for as much as 5
> > seconds when I start up a large process such as Netscape or cause one of
>
> When I had IDE drives, this would also happen quite frequently under
> Linux, so I would guess a timing problem of some sort with the IDE
> controller, not specific to FreeBSD.

Perhaps this is the reason behind the common observation that "Linux
freezes to a crawl when it starts swapping to disk."  I was told this was
one big advantage of FreeBSD.  Somehow, I'm starting to think that both
OS's have this problem, but perhaps this is less noticed under FreeBSD
due to:

1) Different paging algorithms between FreeBSD and Linux (?)
2) More Linux users use IDE;  more FreeBSD users use SCSI.

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL