Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 08:27:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

Bruce Evans writes:

> >I have a -current system with 3 Conner CP30200 SCSI drives.  I have
> >been using a C/H/S geometry of XXX/8/256 since Rodney mentioned
> >this as the optimum geometry for SCSI disks and ufs.  Prior to that
> >I used XXX/64/32 as reported by the Adaptec controller.
>
> >With the new slice scheme I get this error for all drives:
>
> >    sd0: raw partition size != slice size
> >    sd0: start 0, end 416107, size 416108
> >    sd0c: start 0, end 413695, size 413696
>
> >The capacity reported for these drives is 416108 blocks. It appears
> >to be complaining that the slice is 416108 blocks but partition c
> >is only 413696 blocks.
>
> 416108 - 413696 = 2412 = 2048(one cylinder) + 364.  It used to be hard
> avoid the size being rounded to a cylinder boundary (editing the label
> with `disklabel -e' always rounded it).  The off by one error for the
> number of cylinders may have been from believing the BIOS geometry
> instead of the geometry that was printed by the the driver.  The BIOS
> sometimes subtracts one from the number of of cylinders.
>
> >Ok, I'll make the c partition == 416108,
> >who cares.  Disklabel says, partition c extends past end of unit
> >and does not write the label.  There are no DOS partitions on these
> >Conner drives, 100% FreeBSD.
>
> I can't explain this.  Is the fdisk output that you quoted (with 50000
> sectors) for this drive.

This was with the 50000 block disklabel.  I tried to label it with
in unmounted in multi-user and in single user.  The old label was
still there.  I have seen the warning before that a partition
extended past the end of the unit but it always wrote the label
anyway.

> >All of my partitions end on cylinder boundaries due to bad experiences
> >in the past.
>
> I don't know of any problems with partitions not ending on cylinder
> boundaries except in the user interface.

I had serious problems with not ending on cylinder boundaries at
one point.  I have not been willing do try it any other way since.
I don't mind wasting a bit of disk space.

--
John Capo