Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:09:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        ZorkLord <zorklord@xtreme.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, ZorkLord wrote:

>FreeBSD Inc.
>
>        Hey, I'm sick of Winblows from Microspastic, and FreeBSD looks
>        like the best alternative, I just have a few questions before
>        I go ahead with it.  My situation is that I have a 4.3Gig HDD
>        split into two 2.15Gig partitions, the second partition has
>        nothing on it as yet but is formatted to FAT16, the first
>        partition is also FAT16 and has Windows 98 installed, I need
>        to leave Windows on there for the rest of the family.  My
>        first question is, if I install FreeBSD on the second
>        partition of my hard drive, there will be alot of space let
>        over, can I still access/use this spare space with Windows/DOS
>        or will I be only able to access this patition with FreeBSD?

Windows will not let you access the space dedicated to FreeBSD. FreeBSD
however, will let you access space dedicated to Windows. Use that as you
like to make the best use of your disc space.

>        Also, can I run any UNIX/Linux application on FreeBSD?  What
>        is X Windows?  If I hate Windows will I hate X Windows??

You can run any Linux or FreeBSD app on FreeBSD. FreeBSD is unix. But you
can't run "any" unix app on FreeBSD. For instance, you cannot take a
binary program from HPUX and run it on FreeBSD. However, you can take
source code from a program on the HPUX computer and make it run on
FreeBSD by compiling the software.

There are 1,800 applications for FreeBSD including Netscape, Acrobat,
Email, Word Processors, Web Servers, Multimedia Viewers, and the list goes
on.

X Windows is a system for using a bitmapped display instead of a character
display. This allows you to run a graphical user interface. Check out
http://www.themes.org/ for some screenshots of what X can look like.

If you hate Chevy will you hate Honda? The analogy applies. Try out X
before you decide to love or hate it. I will say this. There is a definite
boundary in FreeBSD between the operating system and the user interface.
You can choose any user interface you like to run on top of the base OS.
There are interfaces that look like Mac. There are interfaces that look
like Win95. There are interfaces that are completely custom depending on
what that user likes. If you don't like the interface, you are empowered
to change it.

Read the instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.htl.

>        Any answers would be most
>        appreciated as I cant go ahead with the installation without
>        the answers...

Sure you can! You installed Windows without all the answers. :)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/