Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:31:23 +0100
From:      Ducrot Bruno <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Centrino and FreeBSD

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:43:55AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:56:35 +0100
> > From: Ducrot Bruno <ducrot@poupinou.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:31:58PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > > In message: <3E73A4E7.8030403@student.gc.maricopa.edu>
> > >             James Mabry <jamabryl@student.gc.maricopa.edu> writes:
> > > : I am going to start shopping around for a new notebook and was wondering
> > > : if centrino will be supported in FreeBSD? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Only if somebody sends me a centrino laptop :-)
> > >
> > > Unless intel's much hailed technology is just a cheap rebranding of
> > > prism cards, I doubt it.
> >
> > IMO if those laptops are shipped with P-M with new speedstep technology
> > (MSR based instead of IO horror) then it would be interresting
> > to look at.
>
> They do use Pentium-M with the new speedstep capability.
>
> Also, the wireless is an claimed to be an Intel PRO/Wireless mini-PCI
> card which is the same one used in my T30. It's a Prism 2.5.
>
> I'll be curious about the support of the Pentium-M.

There should be at least support from ACPI, but I hope that
there will be enough docu about so that people could have
some sysctl as for LongRun technology (from which the new speedstep
seems to be inspired in fact).

> I suspect the
> wireless will just work.

And then no need to look for new drivers.

Cheers,

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.