Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Non-standard root filesystems

Could someone fill me in on the current status of either A) remounting a
root filesystem or B) mounting a non-standard fs as a root fs?

I've bumped into this three times now.  Twice as part of the vinum stuff
and a third as part of a solid-state media problem.  In the case of vinum,
I actually had a client choose a Linux system because its rootfs is
software RAIDable.

Other people are also starting to bump into the issue as brought up in the
NFS attribute thread.  (AFS can't be used because the root filesystem
can't be remounted completely)

What is the current status?  Or, alternatively, what are the issues with
implementation?  Is it a political problem (no perceived need/low
priority/coming in FreeBSD 5.X) or is it a massive amount of work problem?

Thanks,
-a