Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 01:19:40 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Options Paper

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 11:10:30PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
#
# Could there be added an extra field to the INDEX which contains a list of
# options the package should be built with, like
#
# |...other index stuff...|WITH_FOO,WITH_BAR,WITH_FOO+BAR
#
# the port makefile would then take care of giving the package a different
# name for each of the 3 cases, a la Will or whatever.

Possibly, but with only a package name like libick and WITH_FOO
how does bsd.*.mk know what the name of the package is that has
WITH_FOO?  Among others it could be called libick-foo, libick_foo,
libick+foo, ...  Sure we could implement a set of guidelines that
specified how the package names should work, but we all know how
well that works.

On the other hand if we could get the describe target to generate
more than one entry, then we'd have a solution that wouldn't
require changing the package building scripts and countless other
scripts/programs that are currently laying about.

-steve