Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:10:50 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: back orifice

In message <6C37EE640B78D2118D2F00A0C90FCB441A5CF7@site2s1>, Christopher
Michaels - SSG cleopede:
>Not to mention that any malicious user inside of the firewall can wreak
>total havoc on any systems with Back Orifice installed.  My understanding of
>the purpose of that software was to point out and exploit a security hole in
>Win95 to gain a response from Microsoft.  Not to be used as a legitimate
>administration tool.  (although it does sound promising).

Thanks to you and others for pointing out the potential security holes.

It sounds *very* promising.  I did look at a web site that discusses
the security issues involved, and my understanding of it was that
if the program is installed *on purpose* and correctly (i.e., with
an adequate, maintained password) that it is not much less (if any
less) secure than a *nix system that allows remote access to its
root/superuser account.  The big security problem comes from the
fact that unscrupulous folks out on the 'net are including it in
"free" software add-ons so that it can be installed without the
user knowing it, with no password (or, I suppose, a password known
only to the cracker).  Then people can break into net-accessible
W95 machines whose owners don't even know their systems allow remote
access.

In my case, all of the W95 machines navigate their way to the
Internet via natd on a fbsd server, and currently none are accessible
directly from the outside.  And of course, I will install BO with
passwords and other necessary security features installed.

-Greg