Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:04:57 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <l.rizzo@iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ating 100Gbit transfer rate

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank your for your response.
>
> i have 2 questions:
> 1. can you explain the looping method that allowed you to reach 100GB ?
> 2. Alcatel-Lucent is routers are given for research internationally ? or
> its locally? what routers we are talking about here and what link do they
> have? i appreciatre if you explain more how do these routers saturate 100GB.

Sure. You create an LSP with a vrf (routing-instance in Juniper-ese)
to place the traffic onto it. The LSP is manually configured at each
hop to traverse to the far end router and that one then points back at
the input router where it is again reversed back towards the
destination. Loop as often as required to saturate the link. (I was
tempted to just say "rinse and repeat, but that might not be clear to
those not in the U.S.)

For information on ANI (and I am not sure if new proposals are being
accepted), see:
http://www.es.net/RandD/advanced-networking-initiative/