Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 97 13:35:26 -0500
From:      Andrew Stevens <andrew@log.on.ca>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /sbin/init: error 20

-- [ From: Andrew Stevens * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Greetings:

   Over the past couple of days, my FreeBSD box has been giving me strange
error messages, and now my machine won't boot.  Below is a summary of what
has been happening:

   Two nights ago, I mounted my DOS hard drive and a DOS zip disk for the
first time.  I then attempted to use find on my system to find a file.
While find was working and my BSD disk was grinding away, error messages
began appearing.  I didn't think much of them at the time and didn't bother
to write them down, but I believe files on my BSD drive were listed, and
beside them, "bad file descriptor".

   The next time I tried to boot, device probing went smoothly, but after
"changing device to sd0a" was displayed, the following lines appeared:

exec /sbin/init: error 20
exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20

   And my computer froze at this point.  I tried disabling everything which
conflicts with ep0, but it didn't help matters. (using de0 as my ethernet
port).  Any suggestions?

   Thanks for all your help - I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

Take Care,

Andrew Stevens.