Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:22:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding IDE to SCSI

In a previous message, Doug White said:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to add an IDE drive to a previously all SCSI 486 system.
>
> Be prepared -- this will cause wierd things to happen.  FreeBSD has
> trouble detecting the boot disk in these cases.

I don't care if FreeBSD will see the IDE, in fact, I probably won't
add it to the kernel. I have a SyQuest drive if I need to move stuff between
the OS and Windows.

> > I'm putting Windows 95 on the IDE and am going to eventually reinstall
> > FreeBSD on my SCSI drive, but in the mean time want to just add booteasy (or
> > OSBS) to the IDE so it points to the SCSI to boot FreeBSD (and old Win 95
> > slice until I get everything installed on the new disk).
>
> You shouldn't have a problem with this, just install win95 FIRST, and use
> a DOS boot floppy to install booteasy.  Win95's boot sector locking will
> foil attempts to install booteasy under it.

Ah ha, that's probably it then. I'll try with a DOS diskette.

> > However the first time I did this, I got the
> > "operating system missing" message when trying to boot FreeBSD or the
> > old Win slice.
>
> Did you run Fdisk and make sure that the active partition is set to the
> Win95 one on the IDE disk?   FreeBSD will reset the active partition bit
> and if it's on the second disk it won't boot.

So the second disk (SCSI sd0) should not have anything set as active?

That may be another problem.

> > I have 2 possiblities for this:
> > 	1) I installed booteasy on the IDE drive via a DOS shell under
> > 	Win95. (and left OS/BS on the SCSI disk)
>
> That failed.

Ok.

> > 	2) When installing booteasy, I had ROM shadowing on for the IDE
> > 	controller. It's manual said not to.
>
> I have it on and it doesn't cause any problems.

I have this pseudo intelligent IDE controller from GSI. It says to not
have Shadowing on when you're configuring drives, which I would guess
putting booteasy or OS/BS on would qualify.

> > I installed 2.2 Beta as from what I read, 2.1.[56] wouldn't be able to
> > handle sd0 as sd0 when it's not the first BIOS disk.
>
> Well, sort of. It won't be able to figure out how to boot it without a
> clue from the Boot: prompt.

So I'll still have to type sd(1,a)/kernel at the boot prompt?
Ick. Maybe a 120 meg partition for / and swap on the IDE is a better route?

> > Also, somehow the SCSI disks slice information got written onto the
> > IDE drive. I think this might have something to do with the shadowing.
>
> That shouldn't have happened.  Are you sure you installed to the right
> disk?

Yeah, I pulled the SCSI's and it was still like that. Like I said, pseudo
intelligent controller.

Thanks,
	Paul.

--
Women aren't as smart as they think. They don't realize how little we
know!					- Tim Allen, Home Improvement