Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:28:55 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my wife bought a new laptop as here old one is breaking into pieces.
> It's a Dell laptop using a graphics device that is intetgrated into
> the CPU package (PCI ID 0x0046/0x8086).  Some investigation reveals
> that X.org's Intel driver branch 2.8 appears to offer support for
> this, while the FreeBSD port is still at 2.7.1.  I tried to do a
> "quick upgrade" of the port locally, but cannot get it to either patch
> (several patches fail to apply), or after removing all patches, to
> compile.
>
> Before I start a hunk-to-hunk analysis of the existing patches to see
> what's needed and what has to be removed (because it's already part of
> the X.org sources), did anyone already do this?
>
> The issue is moderately urgent, because if I cannot get X.org to run
> on the laptop, we have to return it to the seller within a couple of
> weeks.
> --
> cheers, J"org

If you write exact name of your CPU such as ones specified on pages

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7ee/mobile/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/mobile/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/mobile/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei3/mobile/index.htm

These processors have integrated graphics .

Then , it will be possible that the persons knowing these processors and
their integrated graphics chips , will be able to give satisfactory answers
to your questions .

Also exact model name of laptop will be useful .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk