Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:27:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yamaha DS-XG

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Scott Michel wrote:

> Well, after taking a look at what's involved with getting the DS-XG
> family of chips up and running, and aiming to shoot for a little
> driver development glory, I think I'll take a whack at getting the
> DS-XG sound chip up and running if no one else is willing.
>
> Having been out of the loop on multimedia for a while, what's the
> current state of affairs on the sound drivers? It still looks like
> there's the (perenially) newpcm stuff and the old (opensound-ish)
> drivers.
>
> Which set of drivers would/should I be aiming for?

Write for newpcm in -current. That is the only driver set which has a
future.

Do you have docs for this chipset? I tried to get information out of
Yamaha but they did a black hole act on me. I have a simple pci driver
which tries to enable the sbpro legacy part but even that doesn't work
properly (no sound comes out).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com