Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2011 12:17:57 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit build errors

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Da Rock
<freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> I really hate sounding like an idiot, but if I don't ask I'll never know:
> The assembler in base is not up-to-date with the latest instruction sets for
> the cpu, and is causing an error because its telling the cpu to do something
> it doesn't understand and is going WTF! So the port binutils provides the
> latest instruction sets for the latest cpus. And ffmpeg and friends use the
> latest cpu abilities to run as fast as they do? Right or way off? Otherwise
> I'd have problems building anything, wouldn't I?

The way I understand it is that they use compiler/assembler features
that did not exist in the version of binutils that is in base.

That might be related to CPU features - I know you need binutils from
ports to use SSE3 features, for example - but whether that is what
happens here, or whether it is due to ffmpeg using newer features
would have to be answered by someone who understands what is going on!

Cheers

Tom