Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:23:05 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A networking problem

Hi,
I just moved a FreeBSD 3.3 machine off our internal network to a public
IP and it is not recognizing the gateway.

The machine worked O.K. before the move.  The cable tests good.  I have
a link light.  The box is on a hub with the Cisco router.  I can't ping
any of the hosts on the hub.

Here are some of the specifics:
IP: 206.103.113.217
Netmask: 255.255.255.224
Gateway: 206.103.113.222

My suspicion is that with the .224 netmask the network is subnetted so
the gateway machine is on a different network even though it's on the
hub.

Networking is not my forte' as is most likely glaringly obvious from
this email.  If anyone can help or if I need to supply more information,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Tony Wells