Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:42:32 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
To:        cathartik <cathartik@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Modernize website with CSS

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:26:26AM -0500, cathartik wrote:
> Hi there
> I read that freebsd.org should be recoded for html4 and css. What i
> would like to do, is code it in XHTML1.0 Strict with CSS2.0, maybe
> with a new more professional layout that will be easily readible using
> a text based web browser.
>
> Is there anyone i could contact to discuss this? I am very interested
> in doing this.

The best way to go forward is :

1. Post incremental patches that remove formatting HTML commands
   (<font>, etc..) and replace it with structural tags (<div>, etc..)
   and CSS properties.  You can post such patches to this mailing
   list.

2. In parallel, you can start experimenting with different layouts or
   color schemes.  The work in #1 should make it to make
   presentational changes without large diffs to the SGML/HTML.  When
   you think you've got something, again just post it here.  Some of
   the complaints about the main page are the orange navigation boxes
   on either side (the color is ugly, and there are too many links so
   it is hard to find the important stuff).

Whenever you have an idea, suggestion, or complaint but don't have
time to fix it yourself with a patch, just post here with the details.

- Murray