Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:20:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Horen <horen@ny-myth.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Horen wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Horen wrote:
> > > On FreeBSD 4.6 or 4.7 works, on FreeBSD 5.0 it doesn't work.
> > > Don't you think it is OS related. ?
> >
> > THere are a lot of MS-DOS programs that won't run on FreeBSD;
> > I don't think that's FreeBSD-related, I think it's the code
> > doing the wrong things to run on FreeBSD.

The purpose of trying FreeBSD 5.0 was to test development code.
I'm positive, few MS-DOS programs won't run on FreeBSD,
probably some Mac OS 7 - 9 programs either.

I'm doing nms development on unix (spec. BSD) for a very long while,
didn't  use it to  test if MS Office will run.

Now the missing facts:

   4.x binaries will not run on 5.0, lib.c inconsistency.

   Identical XFree86 sources compiled nativly on 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0.
   4.6-4.7: no problem
   5.0: logout from X blocks the graphic card, Matrox MGA 400
        and also Nvidia GeForce2 MX200

I doubt, that something else than OS  related issues are the
cause.

Switched back to 4.7 , will try again 5.0 in few weeks.

Thanks,

-Horen