Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:11:10 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:29:43AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I offered you an alpha last week, remember?
>
>     Yes, and I said that I *DIDN'T HAVE TIME*.
>
>     Guys, I'm working 60 hour weeks in my new startup.  I don't have the
>     time to learn Alpha assembly, and I don't have time to double-code
>     all the machine dependant pieces even if I *did* know Alpha assembly.
>
>     It's that simple.  My problem is not hardware... I could buy as much
>     hardware as I wanted from what I got out of BEST.  It's time that's
>     the problem.

There are a couple of issues that need to be resolved here.  Matt (Dillon),
you've made it clear that you don't have the time/background/desire to do
the alpha bits.  That is totally acceptable; your work is valuable even
without the alpha bits.

The other issue has to do with how we are going to approach the SMP work
with regard to the alpha port.  We must keep the i386 and alpha ports more
or less in sync, because this is such a wide-sweeping change to the kernel.
Since we have different people doing the machine-dependent work for i386
and alpha, this is going to require some communication to get the bits
ready for committing in approximately the same timeframe.

Working on both i386 and alpha will probably mean that our first couple of
stages will take a bit longer, but we cannot afford to leave alpha in the
dust right off the bat.  This might cost us a couple of weeks up front, but
I think it is well worth the effort, and may more than pay off in the long
run if it avoids having to do re-work to factor out machine-dependent
portions of the work.

Jason