Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 20:36:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async Serial Sniffer/Analyzer?

> Am in need of a tool to capture and display hex and ASCII a small (100
> to 300 bytes at a time) amount of data off a 300 baud async serial line,
> 8 bits, 1 start, 1 stop. Would also be nice if it monitored and logged
> transitions of the handshake lines.
>
> While such a minimal tool as I'm in need of should be easy to write I
> don't have a day or so to do it. A pass thru /usr/ports failed to turn
> one up.
>
> FreeBSD, Mac, and even Windows solutions are acceptable.

 If it's just a regular 232 line - you could simply

	cat /dev/cuaXX | tee <someplace> | od -x

 The <someplace> could even be a named pipe in the file system, so that,
 in another "window" (or vtty) you could also be doing:

	cat <someplace> | whatever-program-it-needs-to-go-to

 And - instead of "od -x", you could use something else that actually
 understood the bits & did the monitoring and logging you ask for
 (say, a small C program you wrote yourself.)

 Part of the the original UNIX philosophy - small tools that you can
 "hook together" yourself to accomplish big tasks.  It's a very powerful
 problem solving approach.

	- Just some thoughts -
	  - Dave Rivers -