Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:21:12 -0700
From:      "Chris Faehl" <cfaehl@cs.unm.edu>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@csrlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems

> Hi,
> I have had freebsd 2.2.2 runing fine on my machine with Accel X 3.1 for about
> a month.
> I decided to do a clean install of 2.2.5 since I did not have alot of stuff in
> 2.2.2 setup yet.
> I got through the install of both 2.2.5 nad my accel X 3.1 fine.
> When I try to start x with the command startx it crashes and gives me two
> error messages.
> Failed to set default font path
> Could not open default font 'fixed'
> I have tried installing it several times and even installed everything once
> with the thought that I might have been leaving something out.
> It still did not work.
> I went back and installed 2.2.2 again and x worked fine with Accel v3.1.
> This is extremely frustrating.
> Can anyone lend a hand?

Hi, Rick,
	Yes, this drove me crazy, too. The scoop is this: Accelerated X doesn't
support gzipped fonts (they do support compressed fonts). So what you gotta do
is ungzip the fonts. Here's how:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
gzip -d */*.gz

Once you do that, I understand you can run mkfontdir in each directory. I
didn't - I just edited fonts.dir in the directories 100dpi, 75dpi, and misc.
Worked like a charm after this.

By the way, this problem is noted at www.xigraphics.com in the Accelerated
X FAQ. I believe they also have a downloadable script that'll do the above
for you.

-- Chris Faehl (cfaehl@cs.unm.edu)