Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:24:55 -0800
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss(4) HP Smart Array P840

On 11/19/15 09:03, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> TL;DR: Why isn't the P840 supported by ciss(4)?

I think I was the last person actively maintaining this driver for an
employer.  HP doesn't have staff to do this support any longer and I
no longer work/have this hardware.

That's pretty much it as far as I can tell with this product line.
Someone has to put in the effort to get farther along with the hardware.

> I tried to setup FreeNAS 9.3 (running 9.3-RELEASE-p25) on an HP
> DL380 Gen9, with the P840 RAID controller. I didn't realize that
> the P840 is not officially supported by the ciss(4) driver. In my
> troubleshooting, I ended up in the same place as documented on this
> forums.freenas.org post
> <https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hp-gen9-server-w-p840-hba-mode-no-drives-visible.28620/>:
>

>> It's interesting that camcontrol devlist shows the drives, but
>> there are no da* or ada* designations for them. I don't know what
>> that means, but I'd speculate it's something driver-related.
>
> Indeed:
>
> # camcontrol devlist -v scbus0 on ciss0 bus 0: scbus1 on ciss0 bus
> 32: <ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 CC46>        at scbus1 target 4 lun 0
> (pass0) <ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1 CC46>        at scbus1 target 5 lun 0
> (pass1) scbus2 on ciss0 bus 33: ...
>
> But there are no device names listed there, after passX, or in
> /dev.

ciss(4) has "scsi-like" features which mean that behavior like this is
kind of expected.

> I see in the ciss source
> (https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blame/master/sys/dev/ciss/ciss.c#L320)

that the VID/DID for this card (0x103C, 0x3239) is listed.

Yup.  I was asked to add that almost 3 years ago by HP before their
team and my employment ended.

> I'm new to FreeBSD, but I'm confused as to how the driver supports
> this card enough to read the drive model numbers, but not enough
> to actually use the drives. Is there something I'm missing, or is
> there some other technical reason this controller can't be used?
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Jonathon Reinhart

I'm more than willing to help out here, you might want to push on HP
if possible to get someone to reach out to me with details on what
needs to be modified to support this controller.  I no longer have
valid contacts to get this information.  :-(

sean

bcc jonathon