Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 05:27:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, mi@aldan.algebra.com
Subject:   Re: load stays at 1 on an idle machine

I have seen this behavior a number of times over the years, but never
tracked it down.  I even looked at the kernel code which computed the
load to see if I could identify anything obvious.

I have noticed that when this happes, the load is basically a
completely stable value of 1.0 or very close to it, almost like it is
in a locally stable state.  Didn't look for zombies though - I use
junkbuster and it always keeps a few zombies around because the main
spawn loop is screwy.  (grrr).

- Mike Harding