Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:40:38 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: stable/9 still looking for packages at 9-current

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 January 2012 18:16, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ok, I'm a stupid lazy user (obviously)... While browsing the ftp, I
>> see 9.0 ISOs in a `releases' directory. Do you expect me to consult
>> freebsd-announce@, verify the signature of the announce, the hash of
>> the ISOs, etc. to consider that 9.0 has been released ? No, I see 9.0
>> ISOs in a `releases' directory, I assume it has been released,
>> whatever your spreading process is.
>>
>> Btw, none of the CHECKSUMS files are signed on the FTP.
>
> Have you checked the website? The latest supported release is clearly
> specified, right in the middle of the home page.
>
> Please don't tell me you'd look in ftp before checking the website. =C2=
=A0I
> think you're just looking to nitpick.

And, which is worse:
  1.  tag the release branch, build the ISOs, upload to main FTP
server, wait for the mirrors (FTP, CVS, SVN) to sync, then make the
official announcement which includes a few days/weeks where "the
release" is available but not official; or
  2.  tag the release branch, build the ISOs, upload to main FTP
server, make the official announcement, user goes to their
favourite/closest mirror, and can't access the release since it hasn't
synced yet

I think people would complain a hell of a lot more about 2 than they
currently do about 1.

Yes, people upgrading via source will see X.Y-RELEASE before it's
officially announced on the website/mailing lists.  Yes, people
browsing ftp.freebsd.org will see X.Y-RELEASE ISOs before it's
officially announced.  Yes, some users will get confused by seeing
X.Y-RELEASE available before the official annoucements.

But, that's a lot better than making an annoucement and having users
unable to use it since it's not available on their local mirrors.

What's annoying, though, is that we have to go through this with every
... single ... minor ... release.  It's not a hard concept, yet every
time there's a new release, people get confused by it.

Is there something that could be done to make it more
streamlined/smoother?  Maybe, maybe not.  Depends.  You'd have to want
to join the RE team to find out more about the current release/mirror
infrastructure.  :)  And then be willing to put in the time/effort to
improve it.  :D

Does all of Arnaud's complaining and nit-picking constitute a request
to volunteer to "fix" things?  ;)

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com