Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:21:31 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another proc question

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.970811215027.1842A-100000.kithrup.freebsd.security@acp.qiv.com> you write:
>Sean, you had mentioned that ps uses /proc. I simply unmounted /proc
>and ps, w, etc. seem to work just fine -- at least with the flags I
>use all the time.

Perhaps you should look again -- no command line arguments are printed.  For
some people, that is acceptable.  For others, it is not.

>What practical benefit is there to the proc filesystem on a production
>machine?

ps.  w.  truss.  Potentially, future versions of debuggers.

Oh, well, truss isn't out yet.  But it does work; I just checked the changes
with my code, it still works.